Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jesus and His Sheep

"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

John 10

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
A lot of people think sheep are dumb

They’re really not dumb; they just do dumb things.

They’re an animal that’s very aware of any perceived danger. They’ll panic if you separate them from the flock by themselves; their instinct to flock is that strong.

They’re very, very nervous animals. A sheep would never travel anywhere in the dark. You get them away from the barn and they get nervous.

If one goes somewhere, they all go. If one starts running, everybody starts running.

Sheep recognize other sheep’s faces for up to eight years. They also recognize people.

~ Paul Haskins - Swedish Mission Farm (near River Falls)
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

See, the real reason i like sheep so much is how brilliantly God uses them as examples of ourselves throughout the Bible.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

" 'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign LORD. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak

Ezekiel 34

No comments: